Synergia are just days away from attending the IGNITION Festival of Motoring – a brand new event for motor sports enthusiasts coming to the SECC, Glasgow from 5-7 August. As well as paying homage to some of the world’s finest motor sporting heroes, it’ll showcase all aspects of motoring.
Alongside the displays of classic cars, supercars, rally cars, motorcycles and more, The Top Gear Stunt team, led by Paul Swift, will inject further thrills into IGNITION as they bring excitement and flair to the live action zone while a Performance Grid curated by Top Gear Magazine will display the finest supercars from McLarens to Lamborghini’s.
Eden Mill Brewery – Scotland’s first brewery and distillery are supporting Jim Barnett and Meerkat Racing at the event, along with long time racing partners Synergia Coaching Ltd in the ACU Formula 600 on a modified Suzuki GSXR600K7 and a classic 1980 Yamaha TZ350.
Jim and everyone at Meerkat Racing are amateurs and volunteers in the project. “We are all friends and support each other for the love of motorcycling, the experiences it gives us and the lasting friendships we make”. Jim and family are based in Staffordshire but the active Meerkat supporters are from as far afield as the Stornoway and Southampton, with international friends reaching around the globe to Australia.
2016 has seen the addition of a new classic bike. The famous Yamaha TZ350 used to race in Grand Prix’s to Club Championships throughout the 1970’s with stunning success.
- Jim Barnett started racing in 2011 on a GSXR 600 K7 after 20 years of riding. In 2012 he won the Novice of the Year at his local circuit, Darley Moor, he first ventured to the Isle of Man in 2014 and then again in 2015. This year Jim takes both the GSXR and a newly acquired Yamaha TZ350G (1980). The latter is entered in the Classic TT Lightweight event.
- The 2015 Manx Grand Prix is the team’s second visit to the Road Racing Capital of the World; the Isle of Man Mountain Circuit.
- 2015 saw Jim achieve Replica Trophies in both the Junior and Senior race at a fastest lap of 113mph (just under 20 mins
- In 2014 Jim succeeded in finishing both the Newcomers and Junior races with a fastest lap of over 108mph.
- Jim won the Michael Edwards “Novice of the Year 2012” at the Darley Moor MCRRC. He finished 6th in the F600 championship in his first year with a best result of Second.
To find out more about IGNITION Festival of Motoring click here.